Sunday, February 17, 2013

Frosted Chocolate Cake Heaven


I am currently on day 27 of no refined sugars. It has been challenging at times. My husband has been asking for me to make his favorite chocolate cake and I have hesitated for days. How could I make a version that would work for me and him and all our kids. I told him I would do it today but that I was going to experiment. What resulted was seriously heaven in cake form. I don't know if it's because I haven't had treats like this in so long or because this seriously tasted so amazing but it was the best chocolate cake I think I have ever had. With a maple syrup and honey mixture for the sugar and whole wheat flour the combination filled my unresistable desire for something that was so good but that would not derail my efforts. I will probably dream about this one for a little while.

Frosted Chocolate Cake Heaven
1 C 100% maple syrup
1 C honey
1 3/4 C whole wheat flour
3/4 C cocoa
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 C milk
1/2 C olive oil
2 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour two 9 in round cake pans.
Combine the dry ingredients and mix. Add the wet ingredients and make sure they are mixed well. This mixture will be VERY runny. 
Pour in to the prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes
Take the cake from the oven and cool completely before frosting. 

To prepare the frosting.

Chocolate Frosting
2/3 c butter, softened
2/3 C coconut oil
1/2 C honey
6 T cocoa
2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients in a mixer until light and fluffy and then put in the fridge to chill until the cake is done and chilled.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...